iThenticate is an online plagiarism detection software tool that screens documents (including among others, proposals, manuscripts, dissertations and thesis, journals, etc.) against millions of published documents available through the Internet and multiple web-based databases.
iThenticate use ensures compliance with federal, state, and institutional requirements relating to the responsible and ethical conduct of research, maintains public trust, and aids in the prevention of plagiarism allegations. Publication companies and funding agencies such as the National Science Foundation (NSF) and select DHHS agencies (among others), use iThenticate to screen submitted proposals for plagiarism.
iThenticate is not a repository database. Documents uploaded through UCF user accounts cannot be accessed by iThenticate company personnel. The iThenticate user license agreement prevents iThenticate from having access to or use of technology, ideas or proprietary data contained in the submitted documents.
ithenticate USE at ucf
- Use of iThenticate is not required. iThenticate is provided as a benefit to UCF investigators by making it easier to recognize inadvertent plagiarism by screening proposal text against published research.
- It is recommended that PIs utilize iThenticate when their proposal content contains a new statement of work or research and development, attributions, citations, quoted material, facts, endnotes, footnotes, paraphrases, images, algorithms, formulas, and intellectual property from sources other than their original content.
- iThenticate review must be coordinated through a Faculty Advisor. Refer to Turnitin for review of student papers, exams, or book publication efforts.
- Uploading by the PI through the ARGIS Proposal Transmittal Form (PTF) “Certs & Review” tab.
- Uploading of the proposal directly in iThenticate. PIs and Faculty Advisors may request iThenticate accounts by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts are activated by ORC’s Research Integrity Compliance office M-F during normal business hours. Notification of account activations will be sent from email@example.com and iThenticate.
Please refer to the iThenticate User Manual for detailed use instructions.
- Upload readable proposal file. (Scanned copies are not readable files.)
- Obtain the “Similarity Report Index” to review system results.
To avoid duplication (self-plagiarism) citing your authored content from previously published works is recommended.
ORC/RIC Updated 7/2017